Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Preparing for the Adventure

I once heard it said, "Focus on the journey, not the destination.   Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."   It's been a joy preparing for this journey!    When we gathered initially to discuss the trip, we put forth ideas of what we would take with us.    Many ideas were brought forward, and finally we decided to put all our efforts into two areas:  1) Raising $3,000 for the Hospital to purchase much-needed Morphine for the patients, and 2) Taking donated dressing supplies and other health care items that could be used by the Hospital.   Here's what I have discovered universally:   people are inherently good at heart and they WANT to give.   I want to especially thank my Mom, Shelley Isaacson, here.   All I had to do was say the word, and supplies poured into my house!!!!!!!    My mom has years of experience gathering supplies for missions in Haiti and Mexico, and she blessed us so much!    Thanks, Mom!!  She wasn't the only one, though!   People we've never even met gave things to us to take!!   We are taking hand-crocheted dolls, made by a 94 year old woman with us to give to children!   Wow!!!   We are taking so much more than just material goods---we are taking the hearts of people with us!     Raising money was easy---again, all it took was talking about the trip and people opened their wallets and their hearts.   Once all the supplies were gathered and the money raised, we set to packing up for the trip.    Last night, Gloria and Jane came over to my house and together, we packed hockey bags FULL of donated supplies.  I was amazed over and over again as we packed a bag, Jane and I both thought the bag would be heavier than the 50 pound limit, and Gloria would assure us it wasn't over.   She was right---every single time!   A few hours after we began, we sat atop a mound of hockey bags packed full and ready to be loaded on Thursday!!    Three tired, but very excited women called it a night!!!

Quick, Jane!   See how much it weighs!!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, these pictures are awesome :). I can't believe how much stuff you were able to take!

    ReplyDelete